Saturday, March 20, 2010

Is It Really That Time?

So here I sit, less than an hour away from being carted down to the airport and the airplane that will take me away from this beautiful place we have all discovered together in just six short days. Of course, I'm all packed and ready to go, have been for over an hour now, so all that is left to do is sit and watch as the rest of the gang slowly wakes up and prepares for departure as well.

Friday was a nice day, and a good end to the trip. Starting with a fun presentation to Nikki's class, followed by a quick bus tour of Port of Spain and then some walking around and touristy shopping with our Trinidad-Parents the Lee's, the day was non-stop work and play. Also, today of all days, my body decided it no longer wanted to be well-acclimated to the sweltering heat, so sweat-a-plenty and no cure in sight. It didn't help that this change in body temperature regulation occurred on the day we did most of our city street walking, out in the sun, with few breaks, and very little wind. But what ho, I survived, and still was able to find some awesome jewelry and gifts for people back home. Friday night we went on our last outing to the Queen's Park Savannah for doubles and other delicious foods, accompanied by the whole Lee family along with plenty of extended family as well. It seemed fitting to have our last dinner in the same place where we all shared our first dinner on this island. Dinner was followed by limin' and laughter, and now here we sit. None of us able to really sleep thanks to our 4 AM departure to the airport, but all of us too exhausted to really chit-chat about the little things in life. I myself am at that stage of feeling awake and fully alert, but I know if I were to sit still for longer than five minutes my eyes would begin to droop and my head would start up with the bobbing up-and-down action that has become all too familiar throughout this trip of constant motion and little sleep.

I'm excited to go home of course, see all my friends (outside of this quirky travel group that is), tell stories, laugh, reminisce. I'm also a bit sad, which is to be expected, to leave this beautiful island that has shown me nothing but beauty and kindness for the entirety of our trip (even the food has been gentle enough on my wimpy stomach). Will I ever return? Will I ever see the amazing Lee family again? Are these the last glimpses I'll ever catch of the houses on the hillsides, the crazy-narrow roads, the beaches and ocean views everywhere one turns? It's easy to avoid being homesick because I always know that I will soon return to that place which I call home, but could I possibly avoid being, in so many words, Trinidad-sick? These are questions better left unanswered for now, because it's all too possible that I won't like what the answer is to them all. For now I'll just continue to write down as many memories as possible in my journal while I await our final departure, and the end to a simply wonderful adventure.

Don't think this is the end of me yet, but for now I'll simply sign off with the final hope that all goes well with our flights this time around... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment