Thursday, March 18, 2010

When SPF 80 isn't enough...

Let me start off by saying this: I am a redhead. Very much so. As such, I am accosted daily on this tropical island by mother nature and all her sun-soaked fury. Don't get me wrong- I love the sun. I especially love fun in the sun involving "liming" and boats and pelicans and whatnot. However, after nearly a week of battle with this primal tropical heat, mammy nature has finally won and for the first time in trinidad, I was baked like a lobstah. I have to say though- I was surprised to have come this far. With sunburns and myself, its usually not a matter of if, but when.
I don't mean to give the wrong impression though- a simple sunburn couldn't possibly come close to dampening our trini-time. Over the course of a week, we have been receiving a full course of extremely potent trinidad injections, and I think its safe to say that we are all addicts now. We spent today cruising around the smaller islands off of Trinidad on what can only be classified as a party barge. A large, well-worn, powder-blue boat puttered from island to island with trini-rythms blastin' so loud the residents of each island could likely hear us coming literally a mile away. Fortunately for us, our music was extremely popular among the residents, much like one David Matthews is in Bro-co. Us smithies were like kids in a candy store today... as is to be expected for college kids in the Caribbean, frankly, but irregahdless! If you weren't busy sunning yourself on the griddle that was the upper deck of our boat, you were likely distracted by the respective flora, fauna, architectural specimens, gorgeous landscape or even just the people...you know- the ones you see on a boat. You know what I'm talking about: you wave at everyone because they're on a boat too, and therefore your friend...dare I say- boat buddies?! I'm not being cynical. They are your boat buddy.
I digress.
The things we saw today wouldn't be inappropriately accompanied by a David Attenborough narration. Pelicans swooped and dove around us, jelly fish....kinda- bobbed I guess. Jellyfish bobbed around us, and I think in the back of all our brains, we quietly feared the black pearl appearing around the next island. The one from the first one mind you- when it was manned by indestructible bad guys.
Once we found a quiet cove, we dropped anchor and dove in. The water was refreshing and cool, and you could see every detail of the bottom... much to the distain of those who are squeamish about seaweed. Smithies popped off the boat like molten grease out of a hot frying pan filled with bacon, eager to attain utmost refreshment. Perusal of the beach yielded sea glass, and exploration resulted in our discovery of a mysterious (some would say ominous, given the noose-like rope hanging in front of it...but no one listens to me...*grumble*) cave that we soon discovered was only accessible at low tide. We galavanted about for a considerable amount of time, and yes- there was indeed horseplay and also ballyhoo.
When we were at last satiated...or in some cases, merely exhausted, we weighed anchor (hehe- "weigh anchor") and headed back to shore. Of course, the rest of the day was filled with equal wonder, and also ice-cream and puppies, but I've been writing for a while now and its best to share the nice things- like our one computer.

Good day-
El Muchador
(Conor)

No comments:

Post a Comment