Friday, March 19, 2010

Life

So I haven't posted in a few days because i have been deep in thought about everything, but I think its about time to let the words in my brain spill out onto the page.

A very common phrase everywhere you will go is "the grass is always greener on the other side." Throughout this week, I have been bombarded by this idea many MANY times during this trip. People from Trini say "America must be so nice! All that snow! All those big houses!" People from America will say "Trinida is Amazing!! People are so nice! The weather is always warm!" People from Trini will say "America has so many things to do! There are so many famous people!" People from America will say "Trinidad has beaches and the sea and so many tropical thinsg to do!" People from Trini say America is safer. People from America say that Trinidad is safer. The list goes on and on. There are so many differnt messages coming at me from so many idffernt angles that its hard sometimes to decide what you truly believe about American or Trinidad or anywhere in the world.

Here is what I know, what I have learned, and what I think.
-Trinidad is a hidden tropical paradise that not many people know about.
-America is alot bigger and therefor has more things to do and more to see.
-The two places are very different from each other.
-They are both safe and both dangerous, depending on where you go and what you're doing.
-I like Trinidad and will be sad to go back home tomorrow.

For me, the fast pace, materialistic life that many americans follow is not something i particularly enjoy. I could live without a TV or a phone or a car or air conditioning and be perfectly fine. I might even be happier. As long as i have food and good people, that is really all i need. That is exactly what i have had this week. I have been surrounded by 12 amazing people who live in my dorm. I have been taken in as part of the Lee family. Every person i have encountered here (Jennifer and her kids grandkids and friend, The kids and teachers at Holy Name, Our bus drivers, Our tour guides, People who served us food, and the random people in the grocery store and neighborhood) has been more than nice, more then generous, and more then anything i expected. I have never met strangest this nice before. They were so willing to look out for us and help us. And the food!? Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

This trip has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and the best spring break ever. I can only hope that everyone has had a good experience like me and will continue to have good experiences as they travel the world. I Love Trinidad, and I so want to be a part of an amazing culture like this someday.

THANK YOU LEE FAMILY!
Andrew-you are so funny, and very outgoing for a high schooler.
David- you were a wonderful tour guide and fabulous friend. Thanks for putting up with us and our shenanigans.
Nicky- You make me proud to be a Smithie and a UNH student. Thanks for being our Smithie to visit.
Mama and Papa Lee- Words cannot describe how much i (we) appreciate what you have done for us, giving up your weeks, driving us around, and buying us load and loads of food.... everything has been wonderful. I will always think of you as part of my family. Thank you!!

I miss you all and Love you all!

-Libby


No comments:

Post a Comment