Monday, March 15, 2010

Trinidad is...

... not at all what i expected. At all. This is both good and and bad. Let me 'splain...

I purposefully did not do any research on Trinidad before i came here because i did not want to get myself psyched us for something during midterms week. I also have a horrible tendency to get really amped up about something, think about it extensively and exclusively, the become severely disappointed when the even in my mind was better then the real life event.

I also thought Trinidad was going to be (please don't take offense all you amazing Trinidadians!) alot worse off of a country the it actually is. I was expecting homeless, people living in one room shacks with dirt floors, and stray dogs running around everywhere. I was QUITE wrong. Trini reminds me of an older, more beat up california, kinda like what jess was saying. The hills are so close to the ocean, and on the side of even the steepest ones are hundreds of houses. There are palm trees and colorful flowers everywhere. Th GEORGOUS ere is so much traffic because 600,000 of 1.3 mill Trinis have a car. Our villa we are staying at iswith cable, wireless internet, a refrigerator, and multiple showers.

Overall, the country is very well off, something i did not expect. In my mind, because i have never really heard of Trinidad as a big resort island ( oh ignorance....) therefore it was not a touristy place and it was less than equal with St. Lucia or any of the other florida keys. It is, very much so. What i really like about the island is it is its own. Yes, it has its KFC and Papa Johns pizza, but that just for the Americans with weak constitutions. They are not trying to be America the island. They are trying and succeeding in being Trinidad, a small island nation of the coast of Venezuela that has a lower, middle, and upper class that ia a HUGE melting pot of several cultures all living together is a space smaller than the Sea Coast Region.

Ok, now for the "bad"... wait, Nikki just came. I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment